Texan Pligrimage

I am a Canadian from the Maritimes, staying for the fall in Waco, Texas, with my fiance, while I apply to grad school at Baylor University. Here you will find an account of my stay in a strange new land.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Yee Haw

I have a funny story to relate. I get driven home from the afterschool program every day by a lovely fellow-teacher and Baylor music major. So we are driving down the higway this afternoon when we end up behind an authentic rattletrap of a truck: three-tone paint job, etc, with a bed full of junk. Have I mentioned that there are no car inspections in Texas? Hooray for freedom! JC and I turn to one another at the same time to say "Wow, that's a hazard on the road!" when all of a sudden, a bunch of the junk flies off the truck and onto the road. Big, metal, frame-like things, which emitted sparks when they hit the pavement! JC, with quick reflexes, swerves two lanes over, demonstrating to me for the first time the real use of all the superfluous lanes on roads around here, and narrowly avoids the still-tumbling junk. We are shaken but fine, and relieved that no one else has hit the junk either. The best part is that the truck didn't even stop!

Anyway.

I finally downloaded the pictures I took on about the third day I was here. Here are some highlights.

This is our lovely home, Ivy Square "lofts". As you can see, our location features a Quizno's, as well as Vietnamese and Thai restaurants downstairs. Both delicious!






And here is Buzzard Billy's, an authentic Cajun restaurant in Downtown Waco. We actually went here for a PoliSci department function last week, and Matt and I tried "hushpuppies" for the first time. They are fried sweet cornbread-balls, and we were informed that they were originally for getting the puppies and kiddies to hush. Anyway, I think the Buzzard Billy's facade is quite comical. At the bottom right hand side of the building, that is a buzzard holding a beer. All this reminds me: there are tons of buzzards around down here! After the ants finally finish me off, I fully expect the buzzards to get in on the action.

Here is a shot of one of the famous turkey-ducks of which I am so enamoured. Come to think of it, maybe they are water buzzards? Or maybe not.











And finally, here is the Waco suspension bridge. Sorry I don't know how to rotate it. Pretty, isn't it? It's actually a precursor of the Brooklyn Bridge: designed by the same engineer, but earlier. Just another interesting fact about Waco.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the real question here is: after seeing all these pictures, how could anybody NOT want to live in Waco?
md

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...our location features a Quizno's, as well as Vietnamese and Thai restaurants downstairs. Both delicious!"

Is this to imply that Quiznos is not delicious as well? Because I maintain that it is.

Also, I am glad that things are going wellish Texaswise, and that junk did not kill you.

- Lindsay J. McCarney

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vivien!

What a wonderful site!

As one familiar with the general way of life in Waco, I have to ask: have you sampled the M&M and Busch beer diet yet?

Shamelessly, I fell into that diet for a good two weeks while I was there...

-Stuart

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home